By Chris Foxon and George Turvey
We’re now sold out but it is available from Nick Hern Books here.
Out of stock
The essential guide to a career in playwriting, from the team behind the multi-award-winning Papatango, one of the UK’s leading new-writing companies.
Writing a good play is only the first step towards becoming a successful playwright; it is just as crucial to understand all the practical and business elements of building your career. Being a Playwright transparently and honestly sets out everything you need to know, including clear and constructive advice on:
- Starting out, including training options and gaining practical experience
- Finding a playwriting model that works for you
- Getting your script noticed and connecting with industry decision-makers
- Developing a production-ready draft through redrafting and R&D
- Pursuing programming, commissioning and funding opportunities
- Approaching and working with agents and publishers
- Securing the best possible deal with producers
- Working with collaborators throughout the rehearsal process and previews
- Capitalising on a production, assessing its success and planning new projects
Drawing on Papatango’s superlative track record of discovering and launching new writers – including BAFTA, OffWestEnd, Royal National Theatre Foundation and Alfred Fagon Award winners, many of whom have premiered worldwide as well as in the West End – and featuring tips from a host of industry insiders, this encouraging and accessible guide explores the opportunities and pitfalls of life as a playwright.
Whether you’re an aspiring writer wondering how to break into the industry or a working playwright looking to move up to the next level, this is your road map for navigating the world of professional theatre.
‘This enlightening book, full of pragmatic information, is an excellent tool for playwrights navigating today’s industry.’ Indhu Rubasingham, Artistic Director of Kiln Theatre, London
‘Chris Foxon and George Turvey – aka Papatango – are a phenomenon for playwriting good. Being a Playwright is packed with inside information that will kick-start your writing life. Written with insight and chock-full of useful advice, this will be a bible for playwrights.’ Steve Waters, playwright and Senior Lecturer in Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia
|Dimensions||19.7 × 12.7 cm|